COVID-19 has caused tremendous upheaval for students. And it’s likely the changes could be long-lasting. Now more than ever parents and students need innovative solutions to help them adapt and achieve!
That’s why MEK Review is proud to outline all the solutions we offer for test prep in the 2020-2021 year:
- Safe On-site Testing
- Virtual Courses
- Tutoring Suites
- Maintenance Courses
#1. Safe On-site Testing
By September 25, 2020, MEK Review’s renovation of our Closter Campus will be complete!
With these renovations, students are able to come to our campus to take a test in a realistic environment while maintaining complete safety.
How it works
A student only enters the building during their designed appointment time.
Upon entering, they wear a mask, immediately sanitizes their hands, and take their temperature with a no-contact thermometer. Any student or staff member with a fever or exhibiting any symptoms will not be allowed to stay on-site.
After competing check-in, students are given their printed tests and bubble sheet. They then go to their assigned testing booth – an individual enclosed glass booth that is completely sanitized after each use.
While in the booth, students may take off their masks as they will not come into contact with other people. Plus, we have installed a hospital-grade air handling system that continuously re-sanitizes and refreshes the air.
Students will then complete their timed test according to the proctor’s instructions. An MEK staff member will be present outside of the enclosed booth to oversee their testing experience.
When the student exits the enclosed booth at the end of their testing time or to use the restroom, they will raise their hand and be assisted by MEK staff to ensure minimal contact with other students or staff. Staff and students will wear masks at all times when outside of an enclosed booth.
Our renovations follow the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers’ guidelines on combating against infectious aerosols.
Why On-site Testing is Safe
- Minimal contact with others
- Completely enclosed and sanitized testing area
- Sanitized air
- Strict safety procedures followed at all times
Why On-site Testing is Beneficial
- Provides a realistic testing environment that stimulates as closely as possible a real test-day
- Gives students a distraction-free environment that improves focus and concentration
- Helps to reduce test-day anxiety and test-day score fluctuations
- Increases student accountability by ensuring students follow instructions, stay within give time frames, and don’t look up answers
#2. Virtual Courses
To help students prepare for tests, we also offer virtual group classes and on-one-one tutoring using Zoom education platform and Google Classroom.
Students get to meet with their teachers and classmates in a highly interactive environment, all from the safety and comfort of their home!
How it works
Registered students are invited to an MEK Google Classroom, where they can find their classwork, reference materials, assignments, online bubble sheets, and meeting links.
During Zoom meetings, students are able to listen to the teacher’s lectures, raise their virtual “hand”, ask questions, engage in discussion, take pop quizzes, and even see their teacher solve problems on the teacher’s screen (just like a teacher writing on the chalkboard).
Why it’s beneficial
- Classes are active and engaging, rather than passive and boring. Students interact with their teachers and classmates which increases participation, enjoyment, and effectiveness.
- Students learn proven strategies and test-taking techniques to master the test
Virtual Testing vs On-site Testing
For many of our courses, students have the option to schedule on-site testing or virtual testing. Virtual testing are also conducted through Zoom education platform. Students take their tests in a virtual setting, while professionally proctored by MEK staff.
You should participate in virtual testing if you:
- live out-of-state (we are located in New Jersey)
- have recently come into contact with someone with COVID-19, are exhibiting any coronavirus symptoms, or have recently traveled from any high-risk area
You should participate in on-site testing if you want to:
- take a test in a realistic and professional testing environment while staying safe
- boost your scores faster and higher by taking the test in a highly focused, distraction-free environment
- improve your overall stamina and focus while reducing test-taking anxiety and score fluctuations
#3. Tutoring Suites
In mid-October, MEK Review will also unveil the next step in our Closter Campus renovation process: Tutoring Suites!
Tutoring Suites will allow students and teachers to complete one-on-one sessions while still maintaining complete safety.
How it works
Students and teachers will meet in a room that has a glass partition through the middle, so they are still isolated from one another. They will enter and exit through their own doors. While the glass partition will divide them, through our sound system, they will be able to conduct their tutoring session.
Why it’s beneficial
Tutoring Suites allows students
- Be in a highly focused and distraction-free environment. This is especially helpful for students who tire easily or consistently struggle with virtual learning.
- Get personal, one-on-one attention from an expert teacher, while remaining safe.
In the coming weeks, we’ll be sharing more details and pictures of our Tutoring Suites options!
#4. Maintenance Courses
We know that many students are dealing with the frustration of cancelled test dates due to the pandemic. Many of these students have already prepped, only to be suddenly told they have to wait to take the test.
That’s why MEK is offering maintenance courses to help these students stay test-ready. These courses allow students to take a weekly full-length test to keep their test-taking skills sharp. Students also meet with our expert teachers in a virtual setting for a short but impactful review of the test.
During these classes, they will learn proven strategies for reducing mistakes, tackling the most difficult problem, and boosting mental endurance.
We offer maintenance courses for:
- SAT Biology
- SAT Math II
- SAT Chemistry
- SAT U.S. History
Check out our fall catalog for more information!
Don’t see the test you need to stay ready for? We offer virtual one-on-one tutoring for SAT, ACT, and SAT Subject classes!
Let’s Do This!
When the world changes, MEK changes with it. But we always remain true to our core value: To provide our students with expert help and proven methods so they can achieve their academic goals!
We can’t wait to hear from you!